West Harrison Trail Maintenance Sat. Nov.8

Moderators: Loose Ends, John S

John S

West Harrison Trail Maintenance Sat. Nov.8

Post by John S » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:19 am

My son Cole and myself with a couple others are going out on Saturday for a ride and water run-off mitigation. When out last weekend on the trail on the backside of Hemlock there was a number of spots the run off water had blown out of the ditches and cross ditches and now running down the trail and washing off the trail surface. We will work on fixing these spots while out for a long nice ride. If you plan on coming with us please post up so we know who to look for.
We will leave from Grace Lake Staging Area At 9:00 AM instead of the regular time of 10:00 Am as it is now getting darker sooner.

Greg P

Re: West Harrison Trail Maintenance Sat. Nov.8

Post by Greg P » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:14 pm

I will be there , ready to go by 9 :00 AM.

John S

Post by John S » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:32 am

See you in the morning Greg, looks like a perfect day for a ride with a little bit of work.

itsmeken

Post by itsmeken » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:42 pm

So??...how did it go? I took the kids to Victoria yesterday visiting family....so missed going with you guys.

Greg P

Post by Greg P » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:03 am

It was a good day. The weather held out . We { Cody, John and myself } got going a little after 9:00 am, and rode up Weaver , and onto DAX , where we did a little trenching .Then up over top of Hemlock and down the other side ,taking care of a few other washouts. We returned via chain gang canyon and rode up to Hale loop which needs a little tlc. Going over the top , Cole picked up a flat and by the time it was plugged ,the tire looked like a porcupine . We also had to cut a path out of the slash at the back side . It could still use a bit more cleanup. It was a good ride .

John S

Post by John S » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:20 am

It wasn't just a good ride it was a GREAT ride Greg. Here is a before and after picture of one of our cross ditch repairs. It may not look like a lot of water running down the trail but just below this area the water had gouged out the trail quit deep and for a few hundred feet.

For those of you that haven't ridden Chain Gang Canyon here is a video of the trail coming from the Chehalis side. This was a trail that was deactivated by a logging company and 26 volunteers came out last fall and dug this out by hand as we were not allowed to use machines. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyXORa_AKsw

Here is a video of one of my favorite trails Hale Loop. If you going to do this trail you have to do it counter clockwise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-zqhoG0AFk